4 cups boiling water
1½ cups kosher salt
1½ cups granulated sugar
16 cups ice water
½ cup (one 3½-ounce bottle) liquid smoke
One 8-to-10-pound turkey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. To a large pot of boiling water, add the salt and sugar, and stir until dissolved. Add the ice water and liquid smoke, and continue stirring to incorporate. The brine needs to be cold.
2. Place the turkey into the liquid, making sure it is completely submerged, and brine in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The next day, preheat the oven to 350º. Remove the turkey from the brine and dry well with paper towels. Place in a roasting pan fitted with a rack and truss the legs. Air-dry at room temperature for 1 hour, then rub the turkey with the oil, making sure to coat the entire surface.
4. Roast until the turkey is golden brown and reads 155º when an instant-read thermometer is inserted into the thigh, 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours.
5. Remove the turkey from the oven and tent with foil. Let rest 45 minutes to 1 hour before carving and serving.