For the Chili Oil:
2 cups neutral oil
¼ cup chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt
For the Carrots:
10 to 12 carrots (3 pounds), scrubbed and cut into large chunks or left whole
½ cup almonds
¼ cup apricot jam
¼ cup chili oil
10 springs mint and/or cilantro, leaves picked off and torn roughly
1. Make the chili oil: Heat ½ cup of the oil until it shimmers. Remove from the heat and add the chili flakes and salt. Let sit until fragrant, about 3 minutes, then add the rest of the oil to cool it and keep the pepper flakes from burning. Let cool and store in a jar on the counter. It will get more nuanced as it ages.
2. Make the carrots: Heat the oven to 425°F.
3. Toss the carrots with a glug of neutral oil and big pinch of salt.
Spread on a baking sheet, leaving some space between the carrots so they don’t steam, and roast in the oven until fully cooked, about 35 minutes.
4. When the carrots are golden brown, crispy, and tender, spread the almonds on the baking sheet and return to the oven to toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
5. Whisk together the jam and chili oil. Toss the carrots with the jam mixture and return to the oven to crisp, for 5 to 7 minutes.
Transfer the carrots to a serving platter and scatter with the mint and almonds.